You Really Had To See IT To Believe IT!


At the Falcon Nest, we usually only post about one column per game, and we usually reserve this space for the varsity team. But, since I make up the rules, I have decided to add a story about something I saw today and just had to share with the Falcon community. It all started when I left work a bit early to get to the eye doctor in time to pick up my new glasses. I ended up getting done earlier than expected and I got a reminder from my phone that the JV football team was playing Lansdale Catholic at Wissinoming Park. So, being relatively close to my house, I decided to catch as much of the game as possible.

As I’m watching the game, I’m chatting with Ed Glackin about this and that, while the scoreless game went on in front of us. Although it was a decent JV game, it did lacked scoring late in the game. The Falcons, at one point, had a first and goal inside the 10, but failed to score on four plays. A couple of people on the sidewalk wondered why North didn’t try for the chip shot field goal. But, I guess the coaches felt that we were moving the ball well enough to go for the touchdown. After Lansdale Catholic got a first down on their next possession, their drive stalled. The Falcons had one last shot at a score on the Lansdale Catholic side of the field. But, after 3 plays, the Falcons couldn’t make the first down and were faced with a 4th down at the Lansdale Catholic 23. And, to the bemusement of the crowd, the coaching staff decided to try a 40 yard field goal. Now, kicking a 40 yard field goal in college or the pros is not a big deal. Hell, even some varsity high school teams routinely attempt field goals from that distance. But, to attempt a field goal from 40 yards in a JV game is just down right lunacy. And, the following paragraph will show you why I’m writing this story and not coaching.

Did you ever see those eastern European weightlifters that are like 17 years old and they lift more weight than anyone thought was possible at the Olympics? It's usually because they have no idea that their not supposed to lift that much weight, or maybe nobody ever told them so. Well, enter Andrew “Noodles” Pierson (he hates that nickname, but it’s kind of caught on, so it stays). Noodles runs out on the field like he’s kicking an extra point. I really don’t think this young man understood that he’s being asked to do something that may have never happened in the 81 previous seasons at a NC JV football game. He’s being asked to kick a football 40 yards, through the uprights, while be rushed by a real live defense. As I’m in the middle of saying, “these guys are out of their minds,” the ball is snapped and placed perfectly on the kicking block, and Drew steps into it and blasts a perfect end over end kick that splits the uprights right down the middle, with a good 5 yards to spare, to give the JV Falcons a 3-0 win. I said, “Are you kidding me? I think that was like 40 yards.” Well, from my vantage point, I couldn’t really tell, so I walked over to the one person on the field who I was certain would know the exact distance……..Drew Pierson Sr, Andrew’s dad. He proudly told me that the ball was placed right on the 30 yard line. Wow! This kid, who got his start playing football on this very field about 10 years earlier, at Wissinoming Boys Club, comes back as a high school player and wins a game with an unbelievable kick. Fortunately, Drew played soccer for many years as a youngster, and he’s also a martial arts champion. You have to believe that this combination helped him with his kicking ability. (Editor’s Note: Please don’t let the soccer coaches know about this, as they may want him to try out for their team next season.) It was truly a sight to see.

After the game, I had to go down on the field to ask young Drew about that kick. When asked what he was thinking immediately after kicking that ball, he responded with, “I didn’t get my whole foot on the ball.” If that’s not getting his whole foot into the ball, I’d love to see what he can do when he really gets a hold of one. Drew then asked me if I was going to write about him. I told him that he’s getting his own article. Great job, Drew. I’m looking forward to seeing you kick for the next year and a half and writing about it.

1 comments:

gakski said...

I believe the varsity record is 43 yards by Steve Maddalo in 1969 or so.