Hopkins shuts out Roman

I have to tell you up front that, due to a prior commitment, I wasn’t able to attend. But, in my stead, I sent one of our young and ambitious staffers, Pablo Más. Pablo was excited for a chance to catch the Falcons baseball team. So, with his ratty shoes, he left his lovely Jacinta and traveled the crumblin road, past Paddy’s well, and into Roxborough, all to catch his beloved North Catholic baseball team take on the Callhillites of Roman Catholic.

Editor’s Note: I know I wasn’t at the game, but since TheFalconNest.com had representation at this game, our winning streak is still intact. The team is now 3-0 when we have someone at the game.

Pablo tried his best to file a real report, but I didn’t have my Spanish to English dictionary handy, so I’ll just report the facts of the game. Senior pitcher, Bob Hopkins pitched a complete game, one hitter, as the Falcons cruised from beginning to end in this lopsided victory. Hopkins helped himself at the plate, going 2 for 3 (1 double) and knocking in a run. Sophomores Mike “Zoom, Zoom, Zoom” Zolk and Ryan Hires both went yard, while combining for a 2 for 6 batting performance and accounting for 6 of the 7 runs batted in (2 runs were unearned). Nearly everyone in the lineup contributed in this game. Keep in mind that yesterday’s lineup featured 2 seniors and 7 underclassmen. That’s a lot of youth, which means this team could make some noise for the next couple of years.

Next game is Monday, when the Falcons play a non-league game against Penn Charter, at Villanova’s baseball field in Plymouth-Meeting. If you get a chance, go out and see the the first place Falcons in person.

Rumor has it that Jeff Graham, who’s trying to gain super fan status, was in attendance. That’s two games in a row. Jeff was seen chatting it up with Paul Moore, class of 1981. Note to Jeff: You have a long way to go to gain the status bestowed on men like Tim Murphy, Ed White and Tom Crossett.

Rumor also has it that former Falcon baseball coach, and man about town, Tim Murphy, was in attendance.

Final Note: I got a call last night from a friend of mine who was at the game. He told me that he saw some guy who resembled Pablo the intern, mumbling on his way home, something like, “EL blanco gorras son feos.” We’re not sure what that means, but we’ll get back to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, let me start by stating my name and my intention. My name is Jeff Graham, a proud graduate of our fine and always memorable Northeast Catholic High School, Class of 1986. Though I was not President, nor an honor student, not even a great athelete, I graduated still proudly, and continue to lead a proud and productive life because of North Catholic. As most people say, it's the best four years of their life, I agree.

Thank You Mike for mentioning my game attendance, it's truly a pleasure for me to root this team on. This team is good, I'll stand behind them anyday, anywhere, anytime. I look forward to attending them all, and watching this team gel together and making a run at the catholic league title. Just because they're young doesn't mean they can't ball! These kids are good and they're going to prove it! I'll see you at the games...or should I say, you'll see me, either way, we got them covered...Go Falcons!

GREAT JOB on this site!

Norphans said...

Editor's Note: Jeff is just one of the many dedicated North Catholic fans who proudly wear their red flannel shirts at the annual North/Frankford football game.